Tuesday 25 February 2014

Why I am a Console Gamer.....

With the release of every new console, I always have to ask myself: is this the year I return to PC gaming and stop buying consoles? The answer, every time, is a resounding no.

I suppose it’s best for me to start with some honesty: I'm too lazy these days to be a PC gamer. I realize that things have likely improved since the nineties, but that doesn't mean I want to spend any time whatsoever setting up a game to play it. What I like about console gaming is that you don't need to worry about resolution, colours or graphics card.

Obviously this comes at the sacrifice of customisation but I’ve never been one to move from default much anyway. Except when an FPS has too much sensitivity. I’d prefer my entertainment to be spoon fed into my face straight from the box; playable exactly as the developer intended. I don’t have the time to spend working out the optimised options for each title I purchase and I’m not a fan of tinkering with different pieces of hardware every few months. I’d rather upgrade my system in one fell swoop every  6 or 7 years.

That said, being lazy doesn't make me stupid. I love a challenging, complicated game. I'm sick of the handholding, tutorial-centric crap in games like Assassin's Creed. I hated the "consoleification" of Mass Effect as much as PC gamers did, and my favourite experience with Fallout: New Vegas was playing through on hardcore mode. Just because twitch shooters and cinematic adventure games sell well on consoles doesn't mean we're all looking for simplified games that everyone can master within minutes

It’s probably because I spend 40-50 hours a week in front of a computer for work, and I'm sure most of you do too. The last thing I want to do is spend my leisure hours there as well. Console gaming gets me away from computer, out of my chair (or in the case of mobile gaming, out of my house completely), and away from work. Plus you get to kick back on the couch, which is a great way to take a load off at the end of a long day.

It’s probably about time that I addressed the age old questions here – controllers or a keyboard and mouse. I'm not huge into twitchy first person shooters, so I could care less about precision. I'll play and enjoy the occasional slow shooter like BioShock, Dishonored, or Metro, but you typically won't find me playing Battlefield or Call of Duty unless my friends are involved. So, that whole "mouse and keyboard is the best and most precise control scheme" just doesn't do it for me.

For all the keyboard-centric games on the PC, there are just as many games that are best played on a controller. Dark Souls, while looking exquisite on PC, is suited far better with the Xbox One controller in hand. It’s the same for all the Batman Arkham games, Dead Space and Fable. I have a far stronger preference to the pressure sensitive analog sticks to the heavy skill required with a mouse.

Those of you making a mental note that you can in-fact use controllers on a PC, I completely agree, but this takes time to configure as well. And in my experience they never quite feel like the real deal.

The other thing that always gets me is that most of the AAA titles made for PC instantly, or shortly thereafter, come to consoles anyway. But console exclusives like Halo stay exclusive (excluding the original Halo) and the games are the only real thing that matters.

Some of my favourite titles of the last decade have been console exclusives – you can’t get the Naughty Dog games on PC (The Last of Us and Uncharted are some of the best action-adventure games I’ve ever played). You can’t play Trials, Journey, Super Smash Bros or Metal Gear Solid on your PC.

I love a good strategy game but unless you’re hugely into them  then the PC games don’t come close to the quality of exclusive IPs.

It wouldn’t be fair for me to say it’s all about consoles because PC gaming and console games are two very different things. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Honestly, I'd argue they're so different that they're almost impossible to compare. Both attract a different kind of person entirely, but that doesn't make one better than the other. Sure, maybe us console gamers are a bit lazy, but that doesn't make us stupid. We crave intelligent, hard, and complicated gaming experiences. You just have to trust us more.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment...